Souderton-Telford Main Streets MGR.
Village Centre Office Suites
121 N Main Suite 107
Souderton, PA 18964
P.O. Box 314
Telford, PA 18969
Souderton Historic Buildings
Older than the Souderton Borough, The Independent was officially founded in July 1878, as the Germania Gazette, and was printed in German, a reflection of the prominent German population living in the Indian Valley at the time.
After two years the language was changed to English and the name changed to Souderton Independent.
Today we receive the Independent on Wednesdays but early issues were delivered on Saturdays, which, at the time, was the logical end-of-the-week time to sum up the happenings of the last seven days, as well as being the big come-to-town day for farmers. In the six-day work week, it was also the day people were paid, thus having money to shop for the items the paper was advertising.
Early content in the Independent was national and world news, as this was before radio and the mass-circulated daily could bring such news to Souderton and Telford. Later the emphasis could shift to local news when other media could bring world news to our towns.
After remaining in the same ownership for an extraordinary number of years, the Independent was bought by Montgomery Newspapers. The Independent can also be found online.
117 East Broad Street.
This building was originally built as Liberty Hall in 1881 with only two stories. The Souderton Independent printing office was located on the second floor.
In 1885 the building became known as Freeds Hall when Freed acquired the Hall and the Souderton Hotel in exchange for his butchering business and residence. The hall showcased many exhibitions including a talking machine exhibition in 1890 and the first moving picture shown in 1906.
By 1937, P.K. Fisher had purchased the building and it became known as Fishers Hall and eventually was used for his stores inventory. The hall eventually became an Esso gas station and finally came to be owned by its current owner.
2 West Broad Street.
The first depot in Souderton was built in 1865, until this station, which opened in 1927, built by the Reading Railroad Company. These Colonial Revival architecture buildings are no longer the hubs of busy train traffic, though an occasional freight will still go through.
Today the renovated Train Station is the home of the Caboose Grille, which opened in 1999, being the first restaurant in 13 years to serve food at the station.
121 Main Street.
Over a period of 50 years, Souderton was home to 23 cigar factories. This building housed one of them.
After lying vacant for awhile, the building was converted to textile production, as were many cigar factories of that time, and became the Cheltenham Towel Mills. This continued for years until it became the Souderton Furniture Mart.
207 East Broad Street.
Construction of the building started in 1892 on land purchased from William Hunsberger. By the time the building was completed, there were 27 total charter members of the congregation; the majority being of the Detwiler and Moyer families. Zion Mennonite left for its current site on Cherry Lane in the 1960s.
Now the home of the Seventh Day Adventist Church, this building is an example of Gothic Revival architecture.
Page 1 of 4